Thursday, November 17, 2005

Let's SHAG, baby!



Last weekend, the Seattle Times ran a package on how housing for seniors is so scarce. If it's scare now, what's it going to be like when the boomers really begin to retire? (This is like Hurricane Katrina: We know it's coming, but we're not going to do anything about it until it's a catastrophe).

Anyway, during my lunch-hour walk, I spotted a place in the International District which is under construction. As I got closer, I see it's for seniors. What an odd spot, I thought. Up here, on a pretty steep hill on 6th and S. Washington Street, next to the Nippon Kan Theatre.

So, in researching it, I stumbled upon the Senior Housing Assistance Group -- SHAG for short (you go, seniors!) -- which is subsidizing affordable, rental apartment communities for seniors in western Washington, including this one in the photo above, the Washington Terrace Senior Housing facility.

This is all very well and good, but how will these seniors venture very far? It's really, really up a big hill, guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home