Monday, September 19, 2005

Urbanism -- the New Math

After living in the cramped corridor of Baltimore and D.C., I desperately wanted to get off the hamster wheel. Get off the Beltway, where going 80 mph is turtle-speed. Moving to Seattle was logical, because it provides for New Urbanism:


NEW URBANISM promotes the creation and restoration of diverse, walkable, compact, vibrant, mixed-use communities composed of the same components as conventional development, but assembled in a more integrated fashion, in the form of complete communities. These contain housing, work places, shops, entertainment, schools, parks, and civic facilities essential to the daily lives of the residents, all within easy walking distance of each other. New Urbanism promotes the increased use of trains and light rail, instead of more highways and roads. Urban living is rapidly becoming the new hip and modern way to live for people of all ages. Currently, there are over 500 New Urbanist projects planned or under construction in the United States alone, half of which are in historic urban centers.

I've been here for three weeks and I've used my car exactly 3 times,which means I haven't had to fill my tank YET! That's a savings of approximately $120, figuring it cost me $40/week on gas. I feel so free.

Seattle is already about new urbanism, but now even moreso. Many projects are taking shape the will hopefully bring people and businesses together: South Lake Union, Northgate, and the Waterfront, to name a few.

Those who live and work in the Sodo section want their neighborhood re-zoned so that it's not only vibrant during games played in the nearby stadiums. I left Seattle for 3 years, but after being back, I can see the changes are worthwhile. The places that were ticky-tacky have gotten a facelift, new places have sprung up and there seem to be great plans for new development. Go boldly, Seattle, go boldly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home